16 Mar 2023
Shahidah is a superwoman in a male dominated field. Throughout 15 years of being in Averis, she faced her fair share of challenges. When asked if she has any career advice for all the women out there, she says to ‘stay focused and don’t give up easily’. Read on to learn more about Shahidah’s journey so far and what life’s like in the IT field.
- Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your decision to enter Averis?
My name is Shahidah and I’ve been with Averis since January 2008. Before this, I was working in a datacentre at Technology Park. I decided to join Averis after that as I was looking to explore new opportunities and take on different sets of challenges.
- How long have you worked in Averis? Do you recall your first day at work?
I’ve been with Averis for about 15 years. On my first day, my team lead at the time invited me to join the team for lunch at the KL Sentral food court. While we were walking from Plaza Sentral to KL Sentral, we had a little ice breaking session to get to know each other better.
- How would you describe your current team and role?
My current team, I would say, is the best team. All of them are very supportive of one another. They are also ever ready to offer any help if we encounter technical issues. I actually love this kind of culture because it’s always a good sign when you can grow and achieve goals together as a team.
- What is/are the most memorable moment(s) you have in Averis?
The most memorable moment so far is getting a birthday surprise from the team. I understand that everyone is busy with their daily work and schedule so having someone from the team who remembers this special day really touched my heart.
- How do you take care of yourself, your family (as a mum) and maintain a good mental health?
The key is to always stay positive and make sure to take up new hobbies so that you can have some relaxing ‘me time’. It can be quite #healing.
- What could be the factors to affect a woman’s ability to lead others?
It all goes back to our passion and commitment that allows our soul to lead others and our hands to guide another human being to become a successful person.
- How do you deal with being underestimated and undervalued?
I’ll usually make it a point to not be upset about it for a long period. I’ll also remind myself that not every day is a bad day. The best is to learn from my mistakes and continue my journey to become more successful.
- Women seem to have a small share in IT. How do you break the gender stereotype or glass ceiling to be in IT?
The IT industry is big and only a minority of women wish to stay in this industry and take on the challenges. If you consider yourself as tech savvy, nothing can stop you from this industry. Nevertheless, women can still be as successful as the men but due to lifestyle, nature, time constraints, and a family to take care of, some women will choose not to have a career in IT.
- What advice do you have for women who want to succeed in a male-dominated field?
Stay focused and don’t let others underestimate you. Just keep moving no matter what and don’t give up easily. Life is also full of vibrant colours, make more fond memories while you can.
There are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow so if you’re keen to build a strong career, join us! Send over your updated resume to email@example.com and our team will be in touch.